Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Bias Loop

ISHING n HOPING

Still kicking day 11 of illness.  I can't figure out how to have comments moderated on this blog my main blog I have it enabled.  So for now the only choice given was allow or don't allow..so I chose that. 

My world is like the shrunken man...has narrowed down to emails from family begging me to get well, trust me IM trying to do just that.  It's not a choice.  Yesterday a very bad day I slept 20 hrs of the past 24..and feel as if I could keel over any minute...my head is trying to throb.

I am not going to dwell on that...just hoping for improvement...my family has sent me some meds to take if I can make it to the mailbox tomorrow..that short walk up the driveway seems like 40 miles as this point..

I went over to FB real quick to check on the progress of the go Fund me  raising money for Jimmy's surgery, and in that process a person had posted a photo of a over crowded hallway school opening in PA and one guy commented he said the whole Covid thing is a political hoax...LOL..some people need a Mule to kick them in the face who knows...karma may help enlighten him.

In other happenings, Jimmy went to the vet again yesterday to get his urine check and  his numbers are good so he is staying where he is with this insulin dose.  Poor ole' guy feel off the back steps and hurt his leg he can't see and it really affects his life.   So far $315 has been raised..a very good start..


I was listening to a Youtube, and  she was speaking about bias, and how we are not even aware we have them...I would say I am very aware I have a lot of political bias...because I have not found common ground with the other side.  If we could erase the issue of slavery from our history I wonder where our political lines would fall?  Currently they fall between religious belief, social ideology, and socioeconomic levels. So if you grew up in South LA or North Alabama this helps to create your belief system, and even if you can get out of either these biases will follow you unless you can accept people for the way they are!

My X was British...he was very racially biased  he grew into that.  He did not have racial experiences when he grew up but he began to fear people who immigrated to his area from India, and Pakistan...his paranoia grew worse when he got older.  This is all part of why our marriage fell apart.  His lack of tolerance for anyone unlike him drove a wedge between us.  So during the Iraq war he really became more diligent against Far and Middle eastern people.  He started to listen to Rush Limbaugh...and that pretty much sealed our fate as partners.  Eventually his bias grew to include Mexican and African Americans as there are few Middle Eastern people here in this area...so he took that bias he had and simple moved it over to include the group that was here..


This is how your bias can work against your personal growth..I say live and let live, Im not going to tell you how you should live as long as you do me the same favor.  But Im also not going to have you over for dinner.  
I think that is where we begin to live in harmony..I can speak about my fear of current events and allow it to bring my current life to a halt or I can look at it objectively and figure out how to change my way of living to avoid falling into a trap of bias thinking..

I know what group I have a bias about and I am surrounded by them.  God n Country whites period.  Im like the pickle who jumped out the barrel  My son is like me politically but he keeps it hidden he doesn't want to be "outed".  You have to live here to understand how this grew out the Civil War, and how they took their bruised pride and dead men home and tried to put their lives back together by telling themselves lies.  So this over time grew into white bigotry and it's a very thick wall of self imposed ignorance they stand behind.  Even if you open the history books in front of their eyes they will not believe.  So I don't even mince words with them, and when I do it leaves a nasty taste in my mouth.   I stay clear of them as much as possible.

This is a bias I am not ready to let go I don't want to become one of them...so I dig my heels in and I stand my ground as best I can mostly by avoiding...How many more centuries will it take for the truth to finally be accepted?